Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Learning Couponing

  I have heard so much about the cable network show 'Extreme Couponing' and decided to see for myself just how it can benefit me and my wallet. I watched a few episodes and all I could think is "Why stockpile so much product when everything has an expiration date?"
  I mean, let's face it, even toilet paper will deteriorate after a certain time. So many were stocked to the rafters with paper products, medications, and hygiene products as well as food items. I certainly hope they rotate their stock often, and donate what they know they will not be able to use. I'm sure many homeless shelters and food pantries will be more than happy to put all of that surplus to good use.
  After studying the show (which is not all truths, by the way), and learning as much as I can online from couponing websites, Facebook couponing groups, and YouTube videos, I have decided to coupon as much as possible for all our needs. So, I searched out Amazon.com and eBay.com for great deals on the clear baseball card protector sheets and dividers, and even found a couple great auctions for bulk coupons. I didn't bother to purchase a binder since I have a zippered binder that will work perfectly, and it has pockets for any supplies I may need.
  Once the supplies arrived, I put the binder together, began the daunting task of organizing all the coupons and arranging the pages so that they are time-saving and effective. Three hours later, I have a binder that any couponer would be proud to call their own.
  Since I do not plan on going to the extreme level of couponing, I keep only coupons that I know I will use, and I trade the rest for coupons that I need. I have also learned about potlucking coupons ( filling an envelope with unexpired coupons and mailing to another couponer in exchange for an envelope full of coupons or even postage stamps.) This has helped get my supply going, as well as purchasing the Sunday paper, checking the stores for coupons while shopping, online registrations for mailed coupons, and soon will be able to use the print-your-own sites. All are great money savers. But my favorite so far is a magazine called ALL YOU. Its goal is to save you as much money possible in every single issue. Great publication!
  I have also learned to check my packges before throwing them away. Some companies will print coupons inside the product packages and they are easily overlooked. Or they may tuck in a coupon just before sealing the package.
  Now I need to learn the art of making the most from the Register Rewards at Walgreens, one of my favorite places to look for deals. I watched a video of that on YouTube last night, but may have to a few more times to truly get it down to an art.
  I think for the single person or just for a small family not looking to have a stockpile of every great deal they come across, a small purse-size photo album (also known as a brag book) will be perfect to get you started. You can keep it in your purse and it will always be on you for those unexpected stops.
  I think the most important thing to remember is to buy only what you will use, otherwise its not really saving you anything, but instead costing you some money, time and effort. A deal is only a deal if it is going to be and is used.
  I enjoy being frugal, so of course I analyze every purchase. On eBay,for example,  they sell all kinds of coupons, whether already clipped, booklets, Sunday paper inserts, certain product coupons, etc. I once saw  a deal on 15  Hamburger Helper coupons for $1.00 off 3 boxes. For this deal to be a good deal, you need to look at three very important things.
                    1. What is the asking price for the coupons?
                    2. What is the shipping fee?
                    3. What is the expiration date?
 With all of these considered, I decided that with the asking price plus the shipping fee, I would still be saving money. But with the expiration date being so close, I needed to figure out if I would be able to use them before they expired. Otherwise, I will have wasted my money. It worked out that the date was soon, but I would have them in time, if the seller was prompt, and I would save quite a bit since my son and I both love the product. So I ordered them, and the seller was indeed prompt on getting them in the mail. So, this week, I will be purchasing 45 boxes! And since it is also for the Chicken Helper and Tuna Helper, we will have a wide variety. Works for us!
  This week, I am putting together my first shopping event and I am hoping for a great savings! Will let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment